Thursday, November 29, 2012

Landmark or Transportation Critique

Landmark or Transportation Critique
Versailles Garden
1) In order to change the picture that I chose from the computer lab into a stencil, we first took the original picture and saved it into photoshop that we could trace it out onto poster board paper. After we traced so we could edit the picture by changing the contrast to make it mostly black and white, a button that we used to help us was called threshold. We changed the contrast to make it much easier to trace later on.We then projected the original picture onto the wall and traced the picture onto white poster board, making sure to mark out the positive and negative spaces so we knew what we were going to cut out with the xacto knife.

2) When creating the background collage, I mostly chose paper that had maps, or pictures of old ships that were used. Since Versailles was a place that had elegant art and elaborate furniture, I thought that the old paper and pictures of the big ships would fir in nicely. I tried to constantly change the shapes and sizes of the paper that I was cutting out to give more of a variety to my collage.

3)Positive and negative space was used to create my stencil by giving me a general outline of what I was going to cut out and what I wasn't going to cut out. Positive space is black and negative space is white, and you either cut out the positive or the negative spaces. You also had to make sure that the spaces that you weren't cutting out were connected, so the stencil could stay connected. I cut out the negative spaces.

4) When using the xacto knife, you should always cut away from you and always make sure that your hand that you are using to cut is far up along the knife, so you wont accidentally cut yourself. I gripped a little bit too tightly and a little bit too low, so I always had to make sure that my hand didn't slip. You always have to make sure that you have a hard material under where you're cutting, just to make sure that you don't cut through the table.

5) My experience with spray paint went pretty well. I've never used spray paint much before, so it was quite cool to experiment with it! You always want to make sure to use a great variety of colors when you are spray painting, just to make it pleasing to the eye. You also have to make sure that you don't put too many colors in one spot, for it could turn out to look muddy. It was also helpful to use the netting when you were painting to create some texture to the piece, I thought that it looked pretty good!

No comments:

Post a Comment