Thursday, September 20, 2012

Value Art Portrait

1. Explain the process you went through to develop your drawing.
 To make this value portrait, we first took a picture of the person in which we were going to draw. Then, we printed it in black and White and circled the different types of values that we saw on a clear sheet of paper. After that, we shaded the back of the clear sheet of paper with a dark shade to help transfer the image of our value circles to the sketch book. We then traced the lines once again on top of the sketchbook, creating the base shapes in which to shade our values in to make the final product.
2. Explain how you found the different values in the portrait?
To find the different types of values in the portrait, we used a value shading chart. We shaded in the different values on a portable strip to use as a guideline to use as a guideline to how dark we should shade in our final portrait. To find the different values, we looked at the original picture and copied the same value shade onto our portrait. After that, we had to blend the colors to give it a softer, more natural look.
3.  Did you achieve a full range of the different values within your portrait?  How?

Yes, I believed I did achieve a full rage of the different values in my portrait and tried to do my best with the pencil I had. To do so, I used pressure on my pencil to create a darker look, and used less pressure to create a softer look to show the highlights in her face. To me, this was pretty hard, since the paper on my sketchbook paper is pretty thin, so I had to make sure not to rip holes in my paper!

4. Describe your craftsmanship.  Is the artwork executed and crafted neatly?

My craftsmanship was somewhat neat, when I was shading in the darker values, you could see the separate pencil lines because of the type of pencil that I was using; I couldn't fix it. I thought that I did pretty good when it came to the lighter shades on her face and the blending of the values. I even thought the lines turned out pretty neat as well.
5. List any obstacles you had to overcome and how you dealt with them.
One of the obstacles that I had to overcome when I did this project was the fact that when I transferred my value circles to the tracing paper, they came out way too dark and showed through the light values that I was trying to do. I ended up erasing the circles and doing the lighter parts by using the value chart and my own eyes. Also, I had trouble with trying to use enough pressure on my pencil to create the dark values, but not rip my paper! On many occasions the paper almost or did rip, so I had to shade a little bit lighter than what I was able to do. Plus, the pencil I was using did not do the best trying to fill in the darker shades, so I used the best amount of pressure that I could.

2 comments:

  1. This is a great drawing mine was trash i like the background to your blog ..................................................................................................................spring rolls

    ReplyDelete